Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My ITF Master

Master Mintarja Seongkono taught me ITF, a Tae Kwon Do style, from 1987 to 1988 in Canada while I was studying there. Previous to learning Tae Kwon Do, Master learnt Thai Boxing. Naturally he combined these two styles. Although he was teaching ITF, it was very different form the ITF style I saw in Sabah, Malaysia. His was more speedier and powerful. He combined boxing style and tae kwon do kicks. Very-very fast indeed. I remember sparring against him. It was difficult to block his kicks and punches. He was 31 and a fourth dan ITF master. If he is still alive he would be 52 years old now. I wonder whether he is still practising tae kwon do. He used to be the North America Tae Kwon Do Champion in the 90s. Before that he was the Indonesian champ.

No comments: