Friday, February 22, 2008

Saying of masters

These are what some masters say about martial arts training (taken from Black Belt, February 2008).

Study the most likely attacks.

It does little good to learn defensive techniques to counter moves that your opponent may never launch. Know how a street criminal attacks, how a mentally ill person attacks, how a terrorist attacks and so on. Seek that information from people who've been there.

By: Sgt Jim Wagner, reality-based self-fefense instructor

Explore your mind

Be clear on what you want out of the martial arts. Some people want to be a kicker, while others couldn't care less about kicking. Some want to do forms but don't care about fighting . Some prefer to concentrate on weapons. You have to understand yourself because to be successful, you have to develop the right mind-set. When I was competing, my mind-set was, if you were going to carry me out of the ring. I'd sayto my opponent,"You're fighting a losing battle already-you can't beat my mind."

By: Bill Wallace, full contact champion

No comments: